When Should You Consider Stretch Wrap Automation?
If you think it may be time to move from manual stretch wrapping to automation, it’s necessary to take a hard look at your operation and ask important questions. Before you pull the trigger and make a decision, there are a few key elements to your business that must be analyzed. These relate to factors such as load output, personnel availability, and much more.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- How many loads do you wrap right now and how many do you think you’ll wrap in one month? In two months? In a year?
- What kind of products do you wrap and how many people do you need to get the job done by hand?
- What type of loads do you wrap? Are they evenly sized boxes on a nicely laid out pallet or do they include irregular shapes and fragile items? Are these loads heavy, light, or somewhere in between?
- Have you experienced any shipping damage? What caused that damage?
- Do you operate multiple shifts? Are loads being wrapped on each of those shifts or just one?
Consider Your Answers and Options Carefully
Let’s break down these questions, and your answers to them, a little further. If your operation wraps more than 15 loads each day, especially on more the one shift, it’s definitely time to look into purchasing an automatic or semi-automatic stretch wrapping machine. This is particularly true if you don’t have very many employees, your team members frequently don’t show up for work, or your products tend to create oddly shaped loads with sharp angles and fragile goods.
Investing in Automation Creates Long Term Savings
While automation can be a big investment initially, don’t let the cost scare you away. Operations wrapping 15 or more loads per day will find that it is much more cost-effective to utilize a machine rather than wrap by hand. Fully automatic and semi-automatic stretch wrappers reduce labor costs, minimize the possibility of worker injury, and can save you as much as 50% on material use and costs, thanks to improved performance.
Questions or Comments?
If you have any questions about stretch wrap film or stretch wrap automation, feel free to fill out the form below. We'll answer all of your questions and help you find the best machine stretch film for your situation.